What is Dev-in-a-Box?
Why use Dev-in-a-Box?
- Clear the Clutter from your site by decreasing the number of scripts and site bloat caused by unnecessary HTML and inline functions. Dev-in-a-Box is a single plugin with multiple tricks. Implementing them is as simple as a data attribute.
- Increase Site Performance. Having many scripts, written by different developers, on your site, naturally slows down page loads and increases the chance of conflict. Dev-in-a-Box combines multiple tricks into a single cohesive plugin, engineered to deliver rock solid performance.
- Enhance Native BC Functionality. Business Catalyst is good. Dev-in-a-Box makes it better.
- Create Consistency across all your site builds. Updating Dev-in-a-Box is as easy as uploading the newer version.
- Gain Peace of Mind. No more maintaining your own library, or searching through multiple sites to find the most recent version of a script. Dev-in-a-Box is maintained, enhanced, and always available to redownload. And updates are always free.
What can Dev-in-a-Box do?
In Dev-in-a-Box, there are a number of components, called ‘tricks’:
ActiveNav makes it easy to create truly dynamic navigation throughout your site. It can be used to produce something as simple as a highlighted menu item when it represents the current page, to side navigation that only shows links related to the current section of your website.
Crumbs is a full replacement for the breadcrumbs modules in Business Catalyst. BC’s breadcrumbs modules are inconsistent, require specific placement, and depend on you manually defining them with the sitemap module. Crumbs, on the other hand, are always accurate, can be placed anywhere on your site, and intelligently name your breadcrumbs based on your actual page names. You'll never look back.
Date is a powerful way to display custom-formatted date and time information anywhere on your site. It harnesses the functionality of moment.js, while maintaining the simplicity of Dev-in-a-Box.
For those times when you need to copy one field's value to another, SameAs has your back. It even allows you to setup copy groups, like billing and shipping fields. It’s easy syntax simply could not be faster to implement.
When users are on BC’s secure domain purchasing a product, Unsecure points all the links back to the original domain, so users naturally find their way back.
Add analytics scripts, such as Google Analytics, without compromising site performance or simplicity. Analytics can be used with a simple data attribute, like data-bc-analytics=”google: [your code]”.
Add social sharing scripts, such as Disqus, Google Plus or AddThis, without compromising site performance or simplicity. No iframes or forced styling. SocialSkills can be used with a simple data attribute, like data-bc-socialskills=”disqus: [your code]”.