Yep, you read that correctly. Free.
Why? Because Dev-in-a-Box has always been destined for something bigger. Something much bigger. Something that requires a significant amount of adoption by partners if it is to succeed. BC Pie.
Over the last couple months, I’ve been completely rewriting Dev-in-a-Box to not only fit into the bcpieSDK, but to also take advantage of BC.Next features, such as Liquid markup and JSON output. If you are a coding geek like I am, you’ll love everything about these changes. Some of the more notable changes:
- Partners will be able to easily extend Dev-in-a-Box with their own tricks, or tricks that other partners have created. Imagine going to bcpie.com and searching through a library of tricks you can add to your project. Or, even better, adding those tricks to your project right from your site’s admin.
- FormMagic is being rewritten to completely do away with the old BC validation methods, and replace them with easy, robust and modern validation techniques.
Well, there are two categories of questions I anticipate from partners at this point:
- What if I’ve already purchased it?
- How/when do I get these new features?
What if I’ve already purchased it?
Hopefully, if you have already purchased Dev-in-a-Box, you’ve made your money back through increased productivity. However, I anticipate some partners who have purchased it in the past couple months could be a little miffed at the price change, so I’m going to make a peace offering.
Anyone who has purchased Dev-in-a-Box, and can prove it with a receipt or BC App Store screenshot, can apply for $225 worth of free training credits from bcpie.com. If you have been interested in taking the six-week Build with Me course, these credits effectively cut that cost in half. Or, if you are wanting to get into depth with Dev-in-a-Box, you will see some future trainings on using the tricks. Those are usually $75.
How/when do I get these new features?
Dev-in-a-Box is free on the BC App Store right now. However, until BC Pie is in beta, The BC App Store will not receive an update to Dev-in-a-Box (except possibly some bug fixes). If you would like to start using the new features right away, you can get a copy of bcpieJS next week from bcpie.com. It will be available to download. Or, if you are totally unable to wait a week, just email me. I’ll hook you up. :)
Want to get up and going quickly?
- Here are the docs.
- Here's a free training on getting started.
- Here's a paid training on going in-depth with FormMagic.